Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has launched an online platform that allows the public to obtain free e-scooter riding permits. The platform is now operational and is open to riders.
Riders can seek for permit on this link https://traffic.rta.ae/trfesrv/public_resources/services/issue-scooter-permit/index.do.
The RTA has shared user manual on e-scooters that includes details and guidelines on technical and safety specifications, areas allowed, how to read traffic signs and road markings
Specifications for E-scooter
Use e-scooters that comply with RTA specifications and standards. They need to have the following specifications:
- The electric scooter should be manufactured so as to withstand the weather conditions of the country.
- The e-scoter should be inline with the specifications specified by the authority.
- Check the working of bell/horn, check the front and back lamp.
- The maximum speed of electric scooter will be set at 20km/h
- The tires should be in good condition.
- Brakes are necessary at the front and rear end.
E-scooter user rules
- You should be at least 16 years of age
- Wear a helmet, reflective jacket and appropriate shoes.
- Do not use mobile or headphones
- Adhere to all instructions, guiding and warning signs.
- Abide by all traffic rules.
- Park only at designated places.
- Dismount at pedestrian crossings.
- Ride alone, do not take passengers.
- Do not carry anything that causes an imbalance when handling the device.
Permissible areas for e-scooters:
- Ride e-scooters only on path specified by the authority.
- Ride e-scooters on bicycle path specified by the authority
- Do not ride e-scooters on any roads, except on safe streets as specified by RTA. Such roads will be marked by clear red lines at the beginning of road, and limit speed to 30km/h.
The operation of e-scooter began on 13th April 2022 in ten districts in Dubai and was restricted to cycling lanes in Jumeirah Lake Towers, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Boulevard, Dubai Internet City, December 2 Street, Al Rigga, Palm Jumeirah, Safe roads at Al Qusais, City Walks, Al Karama and Al Mankhoul.
E-scooters are allowed at all cycling lanes and scooter lanes across dubai, except at Meydan, Al Qudra and Saih Assalam.