The UAE has introduced new ‘multiple entry tourist visa’ for all nationalities, while also approving a new ‘remote work visa’, which allows employees from across the world to live and work remotely in the UAE, although their companies are based in another country.
Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the Vice President of UAE, and Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai, in his latest tweet made this announcement, following a cabinet meet and said, “We are working with clear objectives to boost our economic status globally and provide the best quality of life to our citizens and residents. Our journey of development endures.”
Ever-since the lockdown began in March 2020 to slow the spread of coronavirus , the UAE was one of the first nations to open its doors to international tourists and remote workers, promising them a safe destination for work and leisure.
The remote work visa was initially introduced in mid-October, allowing workers to continue remote working for a period of one year, provided they meet certain criteria.
With the expat workers having left the country during Covid-19 pandemic, the population in Dubai dipped 8.4 percent last year, and the emirate suffered its worst-ever population decrease.
Generally, Residency permits in the emirate are linked to employment and several expats will have no choice, but to leave the country, if they lose their jobs.
However, with the new visa, remote workers can continue working for a company which is based outside the UAE. This new resolution aims to position the UAE as the new ideal work and tourist destination. It is also a major step, the region’s first such measure to boost the competitiveness of the tourism sector in the UAE and aims to boost the national economy.
Several other countries, including Estonia, Barbados, Georgia and Bermuda have introduced similar remote working programs.
How does the multiple entry tourist visa work?
- It is issued for all nationalities to facilitate the entry process for tourists and visitors.
- This five-year visa enables visitors to enter the UAE multiple time under self-sponsorship.
- They can stay in the country for 90 days in one visit, and then extend it up to another 90 days.
How does the remote work visa help?
- This visa draws talents and experts from across the world to work remotely from the UAE.
- With this visa, foreigners can enter the UAE and work remotely for a period of one year, under self-sponsorship, inline with the terms and conditions applicable to this visa.
- This first-of-its-kind visa aims to boost tourism and support national economy.
- It also provides opportunity for talents & entrepreneurs to explore UAE’s safe and attractive business environment.