Education in Dubai
Dubai International Academic City
Knowledge is purer and more precious than gold. It is a desired acquisition especially in the age of information fueled by internet technology. This age of information has affected so many people, countries and culture in so many ways and Dubai as the land of the Emirates is no different. Since the discovery of oil in Dubai, the country has developed a momentary focus on the benefits from the resources. However until recently, the focus has been shifted to embrace knowledge hence, heralding the development of a vision project called the Dubai Academic City.
Origin and significance
The Dubai Academic City is a vision project established after the establishment of the Knowledge Village situated in the Dubai Internet City. Officially, the area was launched on May 2006 and the objective of this movement is to make the Knowledge City a foundation for educational growth and excellence. The liaison between Academic City and Knowledge Village is purposely to network together for the improvement of educational advantages. Therefore, it should be clear that Knowledge Village and Academic City are two entities as far as the physical outlook is concerned but in the form of functions and objectives, they are in sync with each other and it goes as this: Academic City will be a pedestal or a foundation for colleges, schools and universities while the Knowledge Village will be a ground that offers accommodation for training institutes and to meet all educational service concerns.
As already mentioned, it is situated near the Internet City, close to the Dubai marina flanked by Palm Jumeirah and the Internet City (very significant position), with a total area of hundred and twenty nine million square feet (129, 000,000 sq. ft.); a complete expansion is programmed to be finished next year (2012).
Academic Institutions in Dubai Academic City
- American University in the Emirates
- Birla Institute of Technology & Science Pilani
- Cambridge College International Dubai
- French Fashion University Esmod
- Hamdan Bin Mohamed e-University (HBMeU)
- Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
- Hult International Business School
- Institute of Management Technology
- Islamic Azad University
- JSS Education Foundation
- Mahatma Gandhi University
- Manchester Business School Worldwide
- Manipal University, Dubai Campus
- Michigan State University Dubai (MSU Dubai)
- Middlesex University, Dubai Campus
- Murdoch University International Study Centre Dubai
- S P Jain Center of Management
- SAE Institute
- Saint-Petersburg State University of Engineering and Economics
- Shaheed Zulfikar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology (SZABIST)
- Syrian Virtual University
- The British University in Dubai
- The University of Exeter
- The University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD)
- Universitas 21 Global Pte Ltd
- University of Bradford
- University of Phoenix
DIAC Vs DAC
So as to make sure you understand, the difference between Dubai International Academic City (DIAC) and Dubai Academic City must be clarified. DIAC is enclosed inside Dubai Academic City and it is basically established as a tertiary institute free zone, while Dubai Academic City is primarily established to house primary, secondary and K-12 schools.
Whilst the educational city is targeted for completion by next year, it is projected that by 2015, the city anticipates to house about forty thousand students attending about forty separate institutes. The facilities in this area include a food complex with 10 stories, Rixama student accommodation, DIAC Phase one and two of building 1 to 8 blocks and etc.